Ivan Toney: Brentford striker charged with further 30 alleged breaches of FA betting rules taking total to 262 | Football News


Ivan Toney has been charged with 30 alleged breaches of FA betting rules.

The Brentford striker had initially been charged with 232 alleged breaches of betting rules in November.

On Tuesday evening, an FA spokesman said: “Ivan Toney has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of the FA’s betting rules.

“In addition to the above charge, the Brentford FC striker is alleged to have breached FA Rule E8 a further 30 times between 14 March 2017 and 18 February 2019.

“Ivan Toney has until Wednesday, January 4, 2023 to respond.”

A Brentford statement said: “The FA has informed Brentford FC that Ivan Toney has been charged in relation to further alleged breaches of their betting rules.

“Our private discussions with Ivan and his legal representatives regarding this matter are ongoing. We will not be commenting further at this stage.”

Toney is co-operating with the investigation and will continue to play for Brentford until further notice.

The FA’s legal representatives and those of Toney are in the process of going through each betting offense he is alleged to have committed.

This is a painstaking process and Toney has the right to respond to each of them individually.

So it could take some time for the FA to reach a verdict, which may not come until February or beyond, although Toney has to answer the latest charges by January 4.

The FA assesses such offenses on a case-by-case basis, so any previous examples of players breaking betting rules are not expected to have a direct bearing on the severity of any punishment Toney may receive.

However, Sky Sports News understands he faces a ban of at least six months if he is found to have bet on his own team.

It is also understood that the investigation into these alleged offenses has been ongoing for over seven months.

Toney, who was not included in England’s 26-man World Cup squad, had previously revealed he had been helping the FA with their inquiries amid allegations he was fixing matches.

After a report in the Daily Mail claimed he had been the subject of an FA investigation, he tweeted on November 5: “I am aware of a story about me in a national paper today.

“I have been assisting the Football Association with their inquiries and will not be making any further comment until this investigation has reached its conclusion.”

What are the rules on football betting?

Football betting is prohibited worldwide for all players, coaches, trainers, club staff, managers and licensed agents involved in the game within the Premier League, EFL, National League, Women’s Super League, Women’s Championship and the North, South and Isthmia leagues.

Prohibited participants are prohibited from betting, directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition taking place anywhere in the world.

The ban also includes betting on any other football-related issue, such as player transfers, managerial appointments or team selection.

The transmission of insider information to someone who uses it for betting is also not permitted. Inside information is information that you know about because of your position in the game and that is not publicly available, such as injury or team selection news.

You are not permitted to use inside information to place a bet or to instruct someone to place a bet on your behalf. Likewise, you are not permitted to pass inside information on to someone else for use in betting.

Previous high-profile players punished for betting

Other high-profile players charged and later found guilty of breaking FA betting rules include current England World Cup squad member Kieran Trippier, who was banned from ‘football activity for 10 weeks and paid a £70,000 fine for telling a friend to ‘get hold of’ the prospect of joining Atletico Madrid ahead of his 2019 switch from Tottenham.

Daniel Sturridge was also punished for revealing inside information about a transfer. After initially receiving a six-week ban, his punishment was increased to a four-month ban and a £150,000 fine after it emerged he had ordered his brother to bid for a move to Sevilla in January 2018.

Joey Barton received an 18-month ban in 2017 after placing 1,260 bets on football between 2006 and 2016. The punishment led to his retirement from football, although the term was later reduced by five months in appeal

How had Brentford’s season gone before the World Cup break?

Position: 10th (19 points)

Top scorer: Ivan Toney (11 goals)

Next three PL games: Tottenham (H), West Ham (A), Liverpool (H)

Apart from the 5-1 horror show at Newcastle and the 4-0 defeat at Aston Villa, Brentford had quashed any speculation that they were about to become the next victims of the fabled ‘second half syndrome’ season” when the Premier League came to a standstill. for last month’s World Cup. If it wasn’t, they seem to have become very established as part of the front line furniture.

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FREE TO WATCH: Manchester City v Brentford Premier League highlights.

And who could forget the way they went into the break? Days after their embarrassing Carabao Cup defeat to Gillingham, they went to the Etihad as underdogs but couldn’t sink their teeth and emerged with a deserved 2-1 win against reigning champions Manchester City the Premier League.

The Bees frontman Ivan Toney was very much in the spotlight that afternoon. He responded to Gareth Southgate’s decision to omit him from the England squad by scoring both goals, leading many to wonder why he would not travel to Qatar, especially given his exquisite penalty record and the fact who was the second highest English scorer in the league with 10. goals, only behind Harry Kane.

A few days later, it was revealed that Toney had been charged with 232 alleged breaches of betting rules between February 2017 and January 2021.

He was part of Brentford’s trip to Spain earlier this month and featured heavily in mid-season friendlies against Bordeaux, Celta Vigo and Wolfsburg, but news of an additional charge of 30 alleged offenses followed on Tuesday month.

If these allegations against him are proven, the striker could face a lengthy ban. Considering he’s scored 11 of Brentford’s 26 goals in all competitions so far this term – with Bryan Mbeumo and Yoane Wissa following with three each – you get the feeling the Bees will be looking a little higher than theirs shoulders regarding the evolution of the saga.
And Long


Source: Ivan Toney: Brentford striker charged with further 30 alleged breaches of FA betting rules taking total to 262 | Football News

Waring issued as cruise passengers arrive in Southampton

Liverpool: ‘When you are fighting for four trophies, you need to strengthen’