Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix is refusing to comment on rumors linking him with a possible move to Manchester United and insists he is “100% focused” on representing Portugal at the 2022 World Cup.
Atlético de Madrid star Joao Felix has refused to comment on rumors linking him with a possible move to Manchester United.
The 23-year-old appears to face an uncertain future at the Wanda Metropolitano, with a report claiming Atletico are ready to sell the striker in January.
Félix joined Los Colchoneros from Benfica for a record £114m in the summer of 2019, and has since contributed 33 goals and 18 assists in 129 appearances in all competitions.
However, the Portugal the international has yet to reach the heights expected following his big money transfer and has struggled for regular game time under Diego Simeone so far this season.
In fact, Felix has only started nine of his 18 games for Atlético in all competitions this season, scoring four goals and providing three assists.
A recent report claims Felix is open to leaving Atletico and would like to join a Premier League club amid interest from Man United.
The Red Devils reportedly had a £110m bid for Felix rejected in the summer, but Erik has HagThe team are believed to still have an interest in the forward as they look to replace him Cristiano Ronaldowhose contract was terminated at the end of last month.
Felix is currently in Qatar representing Portugal at the 2022 World Cup and insists he is fully focused on their upcoming quarter-final clash against Morocco on Saturday.
In a press conference on Friday, Felix said: “I’m focused on the World Cup. 100% on the World Cup and making a great World Cup.
“We’re thinking about doing a big tournament and the Portuguese. I’ll talk about Atlético when the World Cup is over.”
Félix is under contract at the Wanda Metropolitano until the summer of 2026, but the CEO of Atlético de Madrid Miguel Angel Gil Marin has suggested that the Viseu-born attacker could look to leave the club in the near future.
“[Joao Felix] it is the biggest bet this club has made in its history. I personally think he is a great talent, a world-class player,” Gil Marín told TVE last month.
“For reasons that are not worth going into – the relationship between him and the boss (Simeone), the minutes played, his motivation right now – it makes you think that the reasonable thing is that if there is an option that is good for to the player., good for the club, we can look at it.
“I would like him to stay personally, but I don’t think it’s the player’s idea.”
Félix, who has one goal and two assists in three appearances at the 2022 World Cup, had also been linked with teams such as Bayern Munich, Paris Saint Germain i Aston Villa.