Manchester City stopped paying Benjamin Mendy’s wages of more than £100,000 a week in September last year after the French defender was accused of a series of sexual offences.
- Manchester City stopped paying Benjamin Mendy’s salary in September 2021
- The French defender was accused last year of a series of sexual crimes
- He told Chester Crown Court the club stopped paying his wages a year ago
- He denies seven counts of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault
Manchester City stopped paying Benjamin Mendy’s wages – more than £100,000 a week – last year after the defender was accused of a series of sexual offences.
The French World Cup winner told Chester Crown Court on Tuesday that the champions cut his salary in September 2021.
Mendy denies seven counts of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault against six women. The 28-year-old told the court he had re-evaluated his life decisions during four months on remand.
Prosecutor Timothy Cray KC showed CCTV footage from outside Mendy’s Cheshire mansion after the player had been at Manchester’s Chinawhite nightclub. Mendy is accused of rape at his home that night.
Cray told Mendy he could “make a mistake” about consent after drinking and the defendant replied: “No, what I saw and heard was consensual.” I had sex with some women I didn’t know.
Cray told Mendy he was lying to “save himself” and he replied: “No.” The trial continues.
Manchester City have not paid Benjamin Mendy’s salary since September last year
The Frenchman has been sidelined since being charged with a series of sex offences