WATFORD are still planning to register Le Harve midfielder Pape Gueye as their player, despite his proposed transfer being called off by the man himself.
The Hornets are intending to officially confirm Gueye on July 1, according to the Watford Observer, after a pre-contract agreement was put in place earlier this year.
The defensive midfielder’s deal at his French club expires on June 30 and his deal with Watford was previously announced by the Premier League side in April.
However, the 21-year-old’s move was immediately thrown into doubt after explosive comments made by his agent.
Pierre-Henri Bovis told L’Equipe in April: “We are wondering about possible irregularities around the signing of the contract.
“We do not deny the existence of an agreement concluded with Watford through the former agent of Pape Gueye, but we point the finger at what could appear to be anomalies.”
The move was hit by further controversy when Watford were claimed to have conducted a medical on Gueye a year ago while he was under contract.
Just weeks away from his expected arrival in England, Gueye has now spoken out to reveal he will NOT be moving to Vicarage Road.
He told French outlet L’Equipe: “In the evening of June 30, I will quit the club that formed me. I want to thank all members of Le Havre for their companionship and their faith in me. Thanks as well to the loyal supporters, ever-present, who have carried this team.
“For me, the future is still uncertain. My mistake in this story is having had faith in a person who advised me poorly. I want to warn my colleagues of the abuse that they could be subjected to in terms of contract signings.
“I am not the first that this has happened to and I sadly won’t be the last. I wanted to speak out against the circumstances surrounding the signature of a contract with Watford and what I consider to be irregularities with their representatives.
“After numerous discussions, I conclude that there has not been any considerable administrative action taken to resolve my case. As a result, and in consideration of the fact that the contract has not yet taken hold, I announce the end of all contractual links to Watford.”
The confusing circumstances are thought to have been caused by Gueye’s former agent Bakary Sanogo with reports he jumped the gun by negotiating multiple pre-contract agreements before January.
Players are allowed to sign pre-contract agreements with ONE club and only once they enter the last six months of their current deal.
Arsenal had been interested in bringing the player to the Emirates but were pipped to his signature by local rivals Watford who view him as a natural successor to Etienne Capoue.
The French Under-19 international has come through the ranks at Le Harve following in the footsteps of Premier League success stories Paul Pogba, Dimitri Payet and Benjamin Mendy.
By: Josh Graham
Title: Watford to register Pape Gueye as their player despite Arsenal target calling off transfer as row rumbles on
Sourced From: www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11875465/watford-register-gueye-arsenal-target-calling-off-transfer/
Published Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 12:17:47 +0000